We’re excited to announce our next Balanced Team conference in Chicago!
The conference runs Friday evening, June 22 through Sunday afternoon, June 24 at IDEO’s offices at 626 W Jackson Blvd (thanks, IDEO!). See Lanyard.com for the conference schedule. We suggest that you book accommodations early, Chicago is full of summer conferences.
The theme of the conference is “Welcoming the Business Perspective to the Balanced Team.” At our last conference in 2011, Dale Larson gave an important talk, asking the group why there were no business people in the room. Who was selling and marketing all the great things we were designing and building, and why weren’t they a part of the conversation?
Together we will explore how the goals and activities of business, design and development can and should work together. We will move past the us vs. them thinking that holds us back. We will share ways for people with these skills to cross-pollinate within organizations.
The rough schedule is as follows:
- Friday afternoon optional event: Visit Chicago’s brand new not-for-profit startup community and co-working space, 1871, in Chicago’s Merchandise Mart
- Friday evening: Welcoming reception with food and networking (location TBD). Please try to make it to this, especially if you are new to Balanced Team, because we will help get you up to speed.
- Saturday morning: Several prepared talks
- Saturday afternoon: Fishbowl, then planning Sunday openspaces/unconference workshops
- Sunday morning: workshops
- Sunday afternoon: share outcomes of the workshops and close